NGER, National Greenhouse and Energy Reporting, is an Australian statutory annual reporting requirement. Heavy fines are handed down to companies who fail to lodge a report, or if underlying procedures fail an audit. That's the downside. On the upside, reporting creates a great discipline on any business seeking to track and reduce its energy use and emissions.
The 31st of October is the last date to lodge your company’s report.
Here’s 8 tips to help you prepare and lodge your report on time:
- Check your reporting obligations. Your emissions may have changed due to corporate activity, while the reporting thresholds have come down. Reporting thresholds will fall further if future climate policy recommendations come into force.
- Check your organisation structure. Joint ventures and contracted services can create obligations if the parties aren't clear on who needs to report.
- Prepare early and continuously. It is easier to keep a running record than collect the whole data set in one go. Easier still if your collection is platform-enabled.
- Make sure your data and reporting will stand up to scrutiny. The methodology you use is somewhat up to you. Just make sure (through expert advice if necessary), that it will stand up to an independent audit. You are at risk of significant fines if your approach is deficient on key information.
- Keep the Clean Energy Regulator informed. If you are running into trouble, better to let them know than bury your head in the sand. Whilst fines for non-compliance run well into six figures, the regulator has a pro-business stance. The helpful police!
- Keep your directors informed. They carry the can if the business stuffs up - and your career in turn could suffer.
- It's the small things that catch you out. Poor asset registers and paper invoices will create a data and reporting nightmare. Better still, insist on electronic records (not scanned images) if you possibly can.
- One last thing, don't leave it to the last minute. If you haven't already started gathering data for this financial year, now is a good time to start!
Automation can help you stay ahead of your NGERs reporting game.
Register your details here and a BidEnergy team member will be in touch with you shortly.